London 2012 staff still waiting to be paid

2016-02-22 chris posted:

The BBC today reported the story of some workers at the 2012 London Olympics who are owed more than £16,000 in unpaid wages. Each of the former Olympic workers is owed a minimum of £1,000., with at least 11 stewards and security guards are owed up to £1,800 each.

Mohammad Anwar, a security guard for Britannia Security Service Ltd was supposed to be paid £7-8 per hour for his 12-hour shifts. But he did not receive the £1,800 he was owed by Britannia Security Service Ltd.

Jatinder Ghuman also worked for Britannia Security Service at the Paralympics. He was a steward overseeing crowd control and claims he is still owed all of his wages, despite working for 14 consecutive days. He was looking to get around £1,500 for the work he did. He worked 12 to 13 hour shifts and was told that if he worked five days on a trot - without breaking it, he would get a £250 bonus as well.

Aamir Rafique, another of the people who worked for Britannia, said he had to take out a loan after not being paid, which has so far cost him more than £3,000 in repayments and interest.

Britannia Security Service Ltd has since been dissolved. It was sub-contracted to recruit and manage staff for the Olympics by another firm, AP Security. AP Security says it gave Britannia all the funds needed to pay the employees.

But employees who tried to chase Britannia for unpaid wages got no reply to their emails or phone calls. The employees are now taking legal action.

If your employer withholds any of your pay, this is called a deduction of wages. Your employer might have withheld your pay because they:

  • have not paid you the wage agreed
  • have not paid you any wages (this is called a 100% deduction of wages​)
  • have paid your wages late or not paid you regularly
  • have not paid you bonus or commission payments
  • have not paid you holiday pay, Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay, Statutory Paternity Pay or Statutory Adoption Pay
  • have made other deductions from your pay

If your employer has done any of these things, they may have broken the law.

Where you had a right to be paid but your employer has not paid your wages or other financial benefits then you have a right to recover the money. There are a couple of ways you can do this:

  • Bring a claim for an unlawful deduction of your wages at the Employment Tribunal. You must submit your application within 3 months less one day of the date the wages were due to be paid.
  • You can claim for the breach of your employment contract at either the Employment Tribunal or County Court. The Tribunal has a deadline of 3 months less one day and the County Court gives you 6 years to claim. Also at the County Court, as well as unpaid wages you can also claim any employer loan, pension payment, expenses, redundancy pay or benefit such as private health care and gym membership.

The starting point is to first contact the employer to find out why you have not been paid or made a deduction from your pay. You will also need to gather proof that you carried out the work and that you had a right to be paid for it.

For more information about how the rules apply to your particular circumstances, contact today on 01225 632240 or at

Share this post

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Share this post


With changes happening on a daily basis due to #COVID19 I've had lots of questions from both employers and…Nm


With the new year around the corner many people will be on the hunt for new jobs so it's a great time to start…kR


Holiday season is coming up and for some legal profession companies that can mean events leading to HR and legal…i4


Thank you so much for your help and advice in this matter which has been made easier with your assistance. I will happily recommend you to anyone who may have need of your expertise.

Client on 21st April 2015


Thanks for all your advice and help in getting my settlement agreement processed quickly.

Client on 2nd April 2015